October 22, 2006
Running AmiBroker on Windows Vista (both 32 and 64 bit editions)
Generally speaking AmiBroker (both versions: 4.80.2 official and 4.87.1 latest beta) run fine on Windows Vista RC1 32 bit and 64 bit editions (yes we checked it).
You can see the screenshot here:
The only issue that you may face is when running AmiBroker registration wizard (it will display error message at the end) but this can be easily resolved following these steps:
- You need to save ABReg.exe onto your disk
- Then you need to click on ABReg.exe icon with RIGHT mouse button and select “PROPERTIES” from the menu
- In the properties screen you have to check “Run As Administrator” checkbox and press OK.
Now registration program will work fine without any errors.
The reason why it did not work is that Vista by default runs programs with “regular user” privileges (even if logged onto the system as admin) and this is causing problems when program is trying to write files with .exe
or .dll extensions.
One final note: when installing x64 version on 64 bit Vista please do not forget to install run-time libraries first as instructed here.
Feb 26, 2007 UPDATE: all those little issues are now fixed with release of AmiBroker 4.90 and new setup program that takes care about all access rights, so this article no longer applies and you can run AmiBroker 4.90 on Vista without problem.
Filed by Tomasz Janeczko at 7:12 pm under Installation
I assume that the beta updates cannot be applied to the x64 version.
I also have an issue with the c:\program files\amibroker\ directory being marked as read only and Amiquote, being unable to write to it.. I think it’s fiddling time.
Found the problem with the program filess, etc. directory.
Vista doesn’t let you write to the program files directory. If you install to a different directory, Amibroker x64 works fine. This problem doesn’t happen with Amibroker x86 on Vista x64 since I assume that Vista doesn’t protect the program files (x86) directory in the same way.
1. Betas are 32 bit but they can be run on 64 bit version of Windows as well.
2. In AmiQuote, go to Tools->Settings and point “Download folder” to writable directory
3. Alternatively you can set “Run as administrator” box in program shortcut properties, and this will allow write access to program files.
UPDATE: all those little issues are now fixed with release of AmiBroker 4.90, so this article no longer applies and you can run AmiBroker 4.90 on Vista without problem.